Property development can be an exciting and rewarding industry to work in. However, to ensure that your next project is completed on time and within budget, you may need to hire the help of a reputable and fairly-priced tradesman or contractor.
To ensure that you hire the right people for your property development project, we have put together the following useful tips…
- Ask friends and family for recommendations, this will ensure you find someone you can trust.
- Try to get at least three quotes from different tradespeople before deciding which one to hire.
- When considering the quotes, look at the details rather than just the final figure. It is also wise to remember that the cheapest quote isn’t necessarily the best option – Remember the term ‘you get what you pay for!’
- Do your research and check online reviews – what have previous clients said about them?
- Ask to see a portfolio of their work and If possible try and visit properties that they have worked on in the past.
- Try to choose local contractors. This will make it easier for them to travel to your property and arrive on time!
- Be sure to give clear instructions and provide the full scope of work to your tradesperson when asking for a quote. This will ensure that the people you hire will be able to calculate the exact costs of the materials and labour and provide a more accurate timescale for completing the work.
- For large scale jobs in particular, it is important to get a written contract in place before any work begins.
- If the contractor asks for a deposit, this should always be documented with an invoice. As a guide the deposit should not be more than 20% of the overall job price, but it can be used to cover the contractor’s tools and materials.
Categorised in: Uncategorised
This post was written by Innermedia Ltd